Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Admitted to Haas!

Well, last Monday I was sitting in a bar with a lady-"friend", trying to explain that there is no reason to be angry with me when the phone rang and Haas called to admit me to the class of 2010!!!! Yeehaaa.

Well, she was the first person to hug, so I hope she didn't misinterpret. ;-)
Somehow our conversation was going on very well from that moment on.

So I am in at the school that has always been the dream school - although I cannot pinpoint the exact reasons anymore. I guess researching so much about Michigan and the entire application process, opinions from people on forums etc. have influenced me in a way that has somewhat taken Haas off the pedestal. I have now spoken to alumni from all schools to which I applied. Obviously noone ever said they did not like their program. But I must say the people from Michigan and Tuck I spoke to were by far the most enthusiastic.

By the way, I really appreciate your comments. It's always helpful to get different opinions that help you put things in a different perspective.

So now I have a Ross admit with 20k/y and a Haas admit with no money. Now what? Although Haas does carry the better brand name in my home country, I find it very hard to forfeit $40k...(although in euros it's not that much any more)

Thoughts anyone? This post may sound less exhilarated than one might expect. And I am indeed not as psyched as I maybe should be. I guess a little love in the form of cash would make my decision for Haas a lot easier.

Also, I need to keep in mind that I have two more decisions outstanding. I really hope Kellogg makes up its mind sometime in February and not at the end of the R2 round in March.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Congrats! I'd def. go to Haas over Ross (I btw got dinged from Haas). $40K is some money, but:
- Haas might get you the better job afterwards (brand)
- It is not really $40K, because the 2nd year you'll count as a CA resident (less tuition?)
- 2 years in San Fran (vs. Michigan???)
- 2 years sunshine (vs. snow & rain)

Good luck with the other apps.

Thomas said...

That's right you're no gringo, then I'm not sure if you can get the CA resident status. On the other hand, having to marry a hot CA babe definitely sounds more attractive than marrying a farmer chic from Michigan. Another point for Haas...