Monday, January 7, 2008

Kellogg and Tuck interviewed, Berkeley postponed

Shortly before Christmas, I had my two interviews with Tuck and Kellogg. Both on the same day.

Although I was wondering if I would get myself into too much trouble doing two interviews in one day, it ended up being a relatively smooth ride as both alumni I talked to were incredibly friendly and made sure to hold the interview in a relaxed environment. (a cafe in both instances)

The Kellogg interview was rather short and about 50mins in time. We were chatting in our native languages about my previous work experience. It felt more like a conversation with someone interested in you, rather than a interview. This also holds true for my second interview that day. The alum was again very friendly, and took the first half hour to speak about Tuck, show me pictures of his class and professors and generally sell Tuck to me before I could even start selling myself. This really put me at ease. We ended up speaking for about an hour and a half with some classic questions on why MBA and why Tuck. However, he didnt ask me any particular hard questions.

I think both of these interviews went quite well, unless something happened that I am not quite aware of. However, I dont think so.

At the end of the day, I think for the international alumni it is also in their interest to sell the school to you as they profit from an extended alumni base in their home market. So, I think an interview really is a mix of selling the school to the applicant and vice versa.

My Berkeley interview of today had to be postponed one week until next week as the alum had a change of plans. Oh well, I hope that will be fine with the Haas AdComs, but I think it should.

Wish me luck! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a first year here at Kellogg - my interview was also pretty conversational. I reckon it's a good sign. Best of luck!