Friday, March 14, 2008

Michigan makes my decision murderous

Notice the alliteration? Yeah, you can tell, it's a Friday.

Anyhow, Michigan upped their scholarship offer. I mean seriously upped it. Now they are back in my decision making game. Why cant this be easy?

I really appreciate your responses to my little poll on the right hand side. The funny thing is: Right now, Tuck and Haas are completely tied. I didnt manipulate this, did you?

I deliberately asked the question without any additional info. I am considering putting up another poll that comes closer to my situation: Would you go to Tuck over Haas if Tuck offered you a significant scholarship?

Again, all I can do right now is research the schools closer and talk to actual students. Speaking to some Tuck students removed some of my doubts concerning the Tuck placement record on the West Coast. It seems that especially in consulting there are good opportunities there, albeit requiring a somewhat higher effort. But I am willing to make that.

I gave notice this Monday. Finally this is out in the open and everybody in the office knows I will be leaving. It is a big relief. However it does feel weird that so few people can really judge what an MBA means from schools like the ones I can go to now. Most people go something like: "Yeah, cool, MBA, my cousin did that at [school anyone can get into in my home country]." And they dont realize what amount of planning, and hard work it took to get into the schools that I got into. Sigh. Oh well.

Can't wait to fly over to the States in 4 weeks from now. The admit weekends will be a great way to finally decide this. I really hope that I know for sure where I wanna go on the plane back home.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

U plan to go to consulting? My inputs are geared towards IB.
I visted Haas and Ross. Haas students were not very excited abt IB. If you are looking to working in Wallstreet, HAAS is not a wise choice especially for career switchers. But HAAS's access to companies in Valley is unmatchable.

They might be unaware or acting unaware. Both are a good possibility. You made it to HAAS, the super selctive school. It speaks volumes about you.

Unknown said...

My 0.02 cents would be "Go to Tuck"

Tuck would be better if you want a career in General Management or Consulting or IB. Haas would be better if you are inclined towards High-Tech.

Ross would give to similar opportunities to Tuck, but i have the feel that Tuck is a little more elite than Ross in Recuiter's perspective.

JulyDream said...

Best of luck with your decision. If you don't feel swayed towards one program or another, I'd definitely consider the scholarships. Getting out of a top program with less debt is definitely something for which we all strive.

I don't know much about Tuck, but it is a good program. I can speak at length about the Bay Area and what a joy it is to live here, but perhaps that doesn't help either.

So... goood luck and HAPPY FRIDAY!

School In The Country said...

How did you get Michigan to up its offer?

kpmg said...

I would definitely go for Tuck. My intention is to do consulting post-MBA, and Tuck offers great opportunity for that. Given the small class size and strong alumni, I believe it is slightly easier to get into consulting after the MBA from Tuck vs. Haas.

Thomas said...

Hi, bin Anfang Juni kurz in Muenchen, wenn du da noch in der gegend bist koennen wir uns gerne aufn bierchen treffen. Ich bin kein grosser skyper aber wenn du zeit hast schick mir doch ne blank email an anselmino (at) gmail.com damit ich deine hab. Wuerde dich dann per email kontaktieren.

Gruesse aus Brasil, is niiiiice here!
Thomas